Attorney Assisted Name Changes

Writing on document

Name Changes in Virginia

In Virginia a name change can be granted by a circuit court judge based upon “good cause”.  In most cases, a petition for a name change will be granted provided that the request is not pursued for a “fraudulent purpose.”  However, the process for submitting and obtaining a name change can be confusing and time consuming.  If you are seeking a name change in Virginia, our experienced attorneys can assist you with the process.  We will complete all necessary papers  and will follow up regularly to make sure that the petition and order don’t get stuck in the system.

In Virginia, you may change your name for any number of reasons. The majority of name change petitions arise after a divorce.  The filing of a simple name change petition will allow you to resume usage of your maiden or former name after your marriage has ended. We also handle petitions to change given names and child names, both contested and uncontested.

Schedule a Consultation

For more information on this topic, and to obtain specific advice on the laws applicable to your situation, please contact us to schedule a consultation.